Some people love social media, some people hate it. I probably fall somewhere in between. I think it is often used to over-share, it can allow people access to information that they shouldn’t necessarily have, and for some it can be a replacement for real life relationships. But it is also a new way to interact with a wide variety of people, get inspiration, share ideas and make connections.
Instagram is probably my favorite social media platform and this dish was inspired by an image I saw there. It is super simple, has very few ingredients and can be whipped up without much work. It’s also crazy packed with nutrients.
Carrots, 6-8 medium
Apples, 2 medium
Bacon, 3-4 slices (the thicker the better)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Time: 40 min
Serves: 2-4 people
1. Preheat the oven to 375° and cut the bacon into roughly 0.5” pieces.
2. Cook the bacon over a low-medium heat in an oven-proof pan or square casserole dish. Only use the casserole dish if you have a heat diffuser, otherwise the direct flame of the stove could crack the dish.
3. While the bacon is cooking, cut the apples in quarters and core them. Thinly slice the apples and shred the carrots.
4. Once the bacon has cooked about halfway and rendered a good amount of fat add the shredded carrots and apple slices. Let everything cook for roughly 5 minutes, mixing together occasionally.
5. Crack 4 eggs on top of the hash, cover with a lid and place in the oven.
6. Cook everything in the oven for up to 20 minutes. 20 minutes will yield a well-done yolk.
7. Salt and pepper to taste. Consume with relish!