Spring has sprung! Even though Spring was welcomed in with a snow storm here in New York, I have already packed away my heavy winter clothes and am willing it to be warmer. Sadly, I know that the weather does not care about the date on the calender or whether or not the Vernal Equinox has occurred. Spring will come in her own time.
And I'll be ready when she arrives. So even though it's still a bit early for strawberry season proper, I thought I'd share my (sugar free) strawberry jam recipe, that way you'll be ready for Spring too!
A quick note: this recipe makes a lot of jam, so you might want to freeze some for later use or just eat it by the spoonful.
Strawberries, 4 cups hulled
Dates, 6 cut into small pieces
Water, ½ cup boiling
Lemon juice, 2 tbsp fresh
Time: 20 min
Makes: 1.5 pints
1. Place the strawberries in a food processor and pulse until cut into small pieces/barely pureed.
2. Place the dates and boiling water in a small food processor and blend until a paste is formed.
3. Add the processed strawberries, date paste and lemon juice in a pan over medium-high heat.
4. Cook, stirring frequently for 8 min; then drop the heat to medium-low, so that it’s still bubbling. Continue to stir frequently and cook for another 8 min or until nicely thickened.
5. Put the jam in a jar and cool. Eat on everything!